Sunday, April 22, 2012

Chateau D'Orschwihr Pinot Blanc Bollenberg

Name: Chateau D'Orschwihr Pinot Blanc Bollenberg
Variety: Pinot Blanc
Region: Alsace
Country: France
Year: 2009
Price: $14.95

Wine Review:

Light, fresh and easy wine, with pear and green apple fruit and a deft, soft texture. Totally ready to drink. 87 points. -A review from Wine Enthusiast Magazine (http://buyingguide.winemag.com/catalog/chateau-dorschwihr-2009-bollenberg-pinot-blanc-alsace)

My review:
Smell - This wine was not incredibly aromatic. A little below average. I could smell a lot of citrusy fruits and also got a little bit of pear coming through on the nose. It smelled good, since I've become accustomed to dry whites.

Taste - This wine was really smooth. It was a bit tart, but not too tart. It definitely had a green Granny Smith apple flavors. It was really light in my mouth. It was quite acidic with a crisp fresh finish.

After reading the Zraley's book, I really wanted to try an AOC wine. This wine was relatively inexpensive wine from a major AOC region, Alsace. I wanted to know what all the fuss was with French wines and food so I paired this with a home-cooked meal.

I tasted this wine with a meal of Rosemary breaded chicken with a lettuce, red pepper, cucumber, feta cheese salad topped with a sun dried tomato vinaigrette. This meal paired with this wine was phenomenal. The wine paired with the Rosemary breaded created this beautiful flavor and texture in my mouth. The wine made the cucumbers and red peppers explode with flavor in my mouth. The wine with the feta cheese created a really creamy, buttery, but crisp and fruity flavor. It was so good. I never wanted that meal to end. Haha. Delicious! I finally understand pairing wine with food.

No comments:

Post a Comment