Sunday, March 4, 2012

Don Ramon Tinto

Name: Don Ramon Tinto
Variety: Red blend, 75% Grenache, 25% Tempranillo, aged 3 months in American Oak casks
Region: Campo de Borja
Country: Spain
Year: 2008
Price: $7.95

Winery Review:

Ruby red in color, with creamy aromas of earth and cherry. Flavor turns toward deeper and darker black cherry and raspberry on a medium framework. A subtle earthiness underneath the bright fruit adds some depth and complexity.
-Vintage Cellar

My review:
Smell - This wine smelled dark. I got a lot of dark cherry in the bouquet. I also could smell the oak.

Taste -At first, the tannins in this wine were very strong, but the overall flavor of the wine was weak. It wasn't full on my palate. Some oak did come through in the flavor, especially on the back end. It also left a really oaky aftertaste. When this wine went down, there was a light burn. I was not a fan of this wine at all. In my time of tasting wines, I've noticed that all Spanish red wines have a similar style which is generally more earthy. So far, I haven't found a red Spanish wine that I like.

I tasted this on its own without food.

No comments:

Post a Comment