Friday, March 9, 2012

Famega Vinho Verde

Name: Famega Vinho Verde
Variety: White blend of Avesso, Azal, and PedernĂ£
Region: Vinho Verde
Country: Portugal
Year: 2010
Price: $8.95

Winery Review:

Refreshing, crisp with a tingly sparkle taste of apple tartness from the cool lucious Vinho Verde DOC region of North Western Portugal. FĂ¢mega Vinho Verde has a delicate citrus flavor like the fragrance of a summer garden. Pleasant and mellow, this young white wine will be the perfect accompaniment to all kinds of seafood, salads, mild cheeses, as an aperitif, or just by itself.
- Review from John Boyer at boyerwine.com

My review:
Smell - This wine smelled citrusy. It was really light on the nose.

Taste - At first the Famega was really tart on my palate. It was really light and crisp in my mouth, but it wasn't really complex. The flavor was flat, meaning it didn't change much from start to finish. Like Boyer, I definitely tasted the Granny Smith apple flavor. Overall, the wine was quite tangy, but it wasn't overpowering. I would say that so far, Vinho Verde is one of my favorite wines.

I tasted this wine with some cheeses.

There were 3 cheeses in all. A hard Asiago cheese, a hard Parmesan, and a softer Parmesan cheese. With the Asiago Cheese, the wine seemed to blend in with the cheese. After chewing the cheese with the wine in my mouth, the cheese opened up the wine a little bit, but the cheese taste was a little too powerful for the wine. With the hard Parmesan cheese, the wine and cheese did not blend at all. It tasted like I was eating a piece of cheese and taking a sip of wine and the two flavors were in my mouth at the same time. However with the softer Parmesan cheese, the flavor of the wine and the cheese blended together so well in my mouth. It became almost creamy. It was delicious! It's ironic because of the cheeses by themselves, the softer Parmesan is my least favorite; however, with the wine, it was by far the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment